This kit contains hardware for a complete 73-33578 Hardware Overhaul Kit. (Rods and Rod Ends sold separately. See links Below)
Part #: 73-33578-3-HDWR KIT
Aircraft: P-51 Mustang
(2) AN-316-7R Nut - Thin Check
(2) AN936-A7-6 Lock Washer Type A
(2) AN932-21 Clevis Pin
(2) AN380-2-2 Cotter Pin
73-33578-3-ACP - ROD ASSEMBLY – LANDING GEAR RETRACTING STRUT CONNECTING assembly is also PMA approved and available from AIRCORPS AVIATION
AirCorps recommends these inspections / actions.
- Rod assemblies should be visually checked during pre-flight to verify there are no visible cracks, tube and rod ends are not bent, and Down Indicator Switch Special Bolt is not bent or rotated from alignment with the switch. Know your aircraft so any change will draw your attention.
- Replace any lightweight ATE-6N rod ends with the heavier later variants such as this Schafer ATE-6N rod end. (For information regarding rod end identification click HERE.)
- Magnaflux testing rod ends if performing any landing gear maintenance work.
- Install a take-up spring as a preventative measure to ensure that, upon a failure, the broken rod does not wedge and prevent extension or retraction.
- Thoroughly inspect during each annual inspection
Read our Comprehensive maintenance article to learn more.
Drawing available on AirCorps Library
Tube – Landing Gear Retracting Strut Connecting Rod - 73-33578-2-ACP
Heavy ATE-6N P-51 Rod End