Rod Assembly – Landing Gear Retracting Strut Connecting - 73-33578-3-ACP
FAA-PMA approved design and ready for install.
Aircraft: P-51 Mustang - 2 per aircraft - 1 per landing gear well
North American Aviation Part Number: 73-33578-3 - ROD ASSEMBLY – LANDING GEAR RETRACTING STRUT CONNECTING
Located in each landing gear wheel well, between Station 50 and Station 75 of the wing. These assemblies require frequent inspection due to their propensity to fail and potentially cause a gear up landing.
AirCorps recommends these inspections / actions.
- Rod assemblies should be visually checked during pre-flight to verify there are no visible cracks, tube and rod ends are not bent, and Down Indicator Switch Special Bolt is not bent or rotated from alignment with the switch. Know your aircraft so any change will draw your attention.
- Replace any lightweight ATE-6N rod ends with the heavier later variants such as this Schafer ATE-6N rod end. (For information regarding rod end identification click HERE.)
- ATE-6N available for purchase from AirCorps Aviation click HERE
- Magnaflux testing if performing any landing gear maintenance work.
- Install a take-up spring as a preventative measure to ensure that, upon a failure, the broken rod does not wedge and prevent extension or retraction.
- Thoroughly inspect during each annual inspection
- Read our Comprehensive maintenance article to learn more: https://www.aircorpsaviation.com/mark-on-maintenance-p-51-landing-gear-retration-rod-end-failure-safety-spring-installation/
73-33578-2-ACP - TUBE – LANDING GEAR RETRACTING STRUT CONNECTING ROD is also PMA approved and available from AIRCORPS AVIATION
Drawing available on AirCorps Library
Does not include 73-54221 BOLT - LANDING GEAR POSITION INDICATOR ACTUATING (2 per aircraft) This is on the electrical installation, not the rod assembly drawing.