Landing Gear Retracting Strut Take Up Spring- 73-33578-TU
FAA-PMA approved design and ready for install.
Part Number: 73-33578-TU - Take Up Spring
As a preventative measure and safety enhancement, AirCorps recommends the installation of a spring between the retract rod and the extrusion in the gear well on the inboard (cylinder) side of the rod assembly. Located in each landing gear wheel well, between Station 50 and Station 75 of the wing.
AirCorps recommends these inspections / actions.
Rod assemblies should be visually checked during pre-flight to verify there are no visible cracks, tube and rod ends are not bent, and Down Indicator Switch Special Bolt is not bent or rotated from alignment with the switch. Know your aircraft so any change will draw your attention.
- Replace any lightweight ATE-6N rod ends with the heavier later variants such as this Schafer ATE-6N rod end. (For information regarding rod end identification click HERE.)
- Magnaflux testing if performing any landing gear maintenance work.
- Install a take-up spring as a preventative measure to ensure that, upon a failure, the broken rod does not wedge and prevent extension or retraction.
- Thoroughly inspect during each annual inspection
- Read our Comprehensive maintenance article to learn more: https://www.aircorpsaviation.com/mark-on-maintenance-p-51-landing-gear-retration-rod-end-failure-safety-spring-installation/
73-33578-3-ACP - ROD ASSEMBLY – LANDING GEAR RETRACTING STRUT CONNECTING assembly is also PMA approved and available from AIRCORPS AVIATION
ATE-6N available for purchase from AirCorps Aviation click HERE